At Grange Primary School Student Wellbeing is a priority. Students have the right to learn in a safe supportive environment and be treated with respect.
From discussions now undertaken with students from Reception to Year 6, it is evident that they have a better understanding of their right to have safe, respectful relationships, and recognising and reporting situations where they may be being abused and what they can do to keep themselves safe.
Harassment procedures are discussed and reinforced as part of the Child Protection Curriculum, in particular verbal and physical harassment of peers.
Class meetings and Student Council have regular discussions and reminders on current harassment procedures and whether they are effective or need modification.
The school through its curriculum delivers ongoing lessons based around dealing with bullying and harassment, especially related to the inappropriate use of social media and texting.
To make sure that Grange Schools are safe and enjoyable for children and adults, the following rules are needed.
Care for your own safety
- Arrive after 8.30am and leave by 3.20pm
- Follow staff member’s instructions
- Walk inside, around buildings and on stairs, students will not use corridors, stairs or toilets for play
- Only play running games on marked courts and ovals, kicking of balls is only allowed on the oval
- Not use the school staff car parks for access
Care for the safety of others
- Care for each other – make our school harassment free
- Play in appropriate areas – front of school is for F-2 only
- Not run around buildings or in garden areas
Care for the environment
- Respect school property and buildings
- Ask permission to use other people’s possessions
- Keep mobile phones switched off and keep them in their school bags
Student Leadership Team
- Increase student participation in decision making across the school
- Represent student opinion
- Develop leadership skills in Middle School Students
- Improve communication between staff and students.
Membership of student leadership team
- 10x Year 6 students
Meetings and responsibilities
- Meet with leadership on tri-weekly basis during lesson time, lunch time or after school (to be negotiated with students and teachers)
- Facilitate student voice groups
- Run or speak at assemblies as needed
- Undertake leadership training
- Take on student leadership roles in the school as needed
- Represent student views at staff meeting, governing council and in the newsletter
- Written application up to one page addressing criteria
- Panel of middle school teachers and Leadership to read applications and select based on applicants ability to meet criteria
- Applicants must provide the names of one teacher referee
- Applications due Monday of Week 2, Term 1
- Panel will meet in week 2 and successful students will be notified
- Demonstrated sense of fairness
- Examples of responsibilities or leadership undertaken in the school
- Organisation / time management skills
- Effective communication skills – speaking and writing
- Why you want to be part of the leadership team and what you think you can offer
If you have any questions about the process please see your teacher or Mr Warren.
Get in touch
Location: 39c Jetty Street, Grange SA 5022
Telephone: (08) 8353 2688
Office hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:00pm
Recess: 10:45am to 11:15am
Lunch: 12:55pm to 1:25pm
Class times: Monday to Friday, 8:45am to 3:05pm
School grounds: Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 3:20pm - where there is a teacher on yard duty